Notice of Request for an Extension of a Currently Approved

From: GPO_OnLine_USDA
Date: 2001/05/17

[Federal Register: May 17, 2001 (Volume 66, Number 96)]
[Notices]
[Page 27488-27489]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr17my01-22]

[[Page 27488]]

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

[Docket No. 00-097-1]

Notice of Request for an Extension of a Currently Approved
Information Collection

AGENCY: Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.

ACTION: Extension of approval of an information collection; comment
request.

SUMMARY: In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this
notice announces the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's
intention to request an extension of a currently approved information
collection to gather data on West Nile virus.

DATES: We invite you to comment on this docket. We will consider all
comments that we receive by July 16, 2001.

ADDRESSES: Please send four copies of your comment (an original and
three copies) to: Docket No. 00-097-1, Regulatory Analysis and
Development, PPD, APHIS, Suite 3C03, 4700 River Road, Unit 118,
Riverdale, MD 20737-1238. Please state that your comment refers to
Docket No. 00-097-1.
    You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our
reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA
South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Washington,
DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through
Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you,
please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
    APHIS documents published in the Federal Register, and related
information, including the names of organizations and individuals who
have commented on APHIS dockets, are available on the Internet at
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For information on the West Nile virus
collection activities, contact Dr. Randall Crom, Senior Staff
Veterinarian, Emergency Programs, Veterinary Services, APHIS, 4700
River Road Unit 41, Riverdale, MD 20737; (301) 734-8073. For copies of
more detailed information on the information collection, contact Mrs.
CelesteSickles, APHIS' Information Collection Coordinator, at (301)
734-7477.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:
    Title: West Nile Virus Surveillance Project.
    OMB Number: 0579-0162.
    Expiration Date of Approval: June 30, 2001.
    Type of Request: Extension of approval of an information
collection.
    Abstract: The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS),
Veterinary Services (VS), is responsible for protecting the health of
our Nation's livestock and poultry by controlling and eradicating
contagious, infectious, or communicable animal diseases. Veterinary
Services'Emergency Programs unit coordinates APHIS' roles and
responsibilities in planning for and responding to emerging or exotic
animal diseases.
    In 1999, West Nile virus (WNV), which can cause encephalitis, an
inflammation of the brain, was first identified in the United States in
wild birds, mosquitoes, humans, and equines. Clinical illness in humans
and equines occurred during early August through late October 1999,
with 62 human cases, including 7 deaths, and 25 equine cases, including
9 deaths. Because the virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, it has the
potential to affect humans, livestock, and poultry. No treatment or
vaccine is currently available.
    In 2000, WNV was detected in humans, equines, other mammals, birds,
and mosquitoes in the northeastern United States and in one crow in
North Carolina. Of the 21 additional cases of WNV confirmed in humans
in 2000, two deaths have been reported. Of the 59 cases confirmed in
equines in 2000, 23 equines died or were euthanized. The equine cases
were confirmed in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New
York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. The three equine cases in
Delaware were the first cases of WNV to be documented in that State.
Over 4,300 dead birds and 480 mosquito pools were documented as
positive for WNV in 12 States and the District of Columbia. A dead crow
tested positive for WNV in North Carolina, making that the first
confirmation of the presence of WNV in that southeastern State. More
data on the distribution of WNV is available online at http://
www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/wnv/wnvstats.html.
    Under an approved emergency information collection, data was
collected on equines infected in 2000 from equine owners in up to five
States in the northeastern United States. We collected data on equines
infected in 2000, the premises on which they reside, and on equines and
premises in the immediate area of the infected equines. We will analyze
the data in an attempt to explain equine or premises risk factors for
WNV infection. Extending the approval for an additional 3 years will
allow additional epidemiologic data to be collected and analyzed.
    We are asking the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve
the WNV information collection activity for an additional 3 years.
    The purpose of this notice is to solicit comments from the public
(as well as affected agencies) concerning our information collection.
These comments will help us:
    (1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for
the proper performance of the functions of the Agency, including
whether the information will have practical utility;
    (2) Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the
information collection, including the validity of the methodology and
assumptions used;
    (3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to
be collected; and
    (4) Minimize the burden of the information collection on those who
are to respond, through use, as appropriate, of automated, electronic,
mechanical, and other collection technologies, e.g., permitting
electronic submission of responses.
    Estimate of burden: The public reporting burden for this collection
of

[[Page 27489]]

information is estimated to average 1.125 hours per response.
    Respondents: Equine owners.
    Estimated annual number of respondents: 420.
    Estimated annual number of responses per respondent: 2.
    Estimated annual number of responses: 840.
    Estimated total annual burden on respondents: 945 hours.
    All responses to this notice will be summarized and included in the
request for OMB approval. All comments will also become a matter of
public record.

    Done in Washington, DC, this 11th day of May 2001.
Richard L. Dunkle,
Acting Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
[FR Doc. 01-12429 Filed 5-16-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-34-P